This is an all time favorite recipe of mine. The secret is in the smoke liquid. It creates a deep, barbecue flavour but without meat in sight. Be patient when cooking to allow the flavours to develop and the beans to be softer. These beans are particularly delicious with corn bread or sweet potato.
1 tsp olive oil
1 small red onion
2 clove garlic
300g cherry tomatoes
2 tins black beans - do not drain!
1 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp liquid smoke (from waitrose, wholefoods market or other smaller retailers)
1/4 tsp chipotle paste
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika powder
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 vegetable stock pot
Small handful fresh chopped coriander
1. Finely chop the onion, then cook in the oil in a non stick pan on a low heat for about 5 minutes.
2. Finely chop the tomatoes and garlic and add to the pan. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add all of the other ingredients, apart from the coriander. Make sure to add the black bean juice as well as the beans.
4. Allow to cook on a low heat for at least 20 minutes, until the liquid has reduced and the beans begin to stick to the pan.
5. Add the coriander right at the end and stir in.