300g chana Dal
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed in a pestle and mortar
2 tbsp tumeric
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tin coconut milk
1/2 litre vegetable stock
To serve: brown rice, coconut yoghurt, spring onions and fresh coriander.
1. Rinse and drain the chana Dal. Cover with fresh water in a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 30-40 mins or until tender. Drain when cooked.
2. Finely dice the onion and cook in a pan with a glug of oil on a low heat until soft. Finely dice the garlic and add to the pan for a few minutes, along with the cumin and coriander seeds.
3. Add the cooked dal, tumeric, ground cumin, coconut milk and stock to the pan, and leave to simmer for about half an hour. You may need to add more water along the way if it boils off.
4. Meanwhile, slice the aubergine and cook in a frying pan with a little oil until soft and golden. Press down on the aubergine slices with the back of a spatula to release the water.
5. Season the dahl with salt to taste, and serve with the aubergine, rice, yoghurt, spring onions and coriander.